Monday, November 1, 2010

Oregon Coast, Part two...

Continuing down the coast, I stayed a few nights in Newport, where I stopped by the famous Oregon Coast Aquarium, known for housing Keiko the Orca (starred in the Free Willy movies) among other things.  Also stopped by the Yaquina Bay State Park area and saw the lighthouse there, which was pretty cool.

I then made my way down to the area of Florence, where I stopped by the Sea Lion Cave.  Here they have what they claim to be the world's largest sea cave, which many wild seals seek shelter in during the winter months.  There is also a little exhibit displaying a skeleton of a seal that was partially dug up (but left in the ground) and is now preserved quite well due to the low temperatures and salty air.  You could actually see algae growing on the skeleton and one of the guides with whom I struck up a conversation at the exhibit informed me all about how the skull was stolen back in 1958 (a time in which construction was taking place on the exhibit).

It was then off to Brookings, which is only a few miles north of the California border.  Brookings, as it turns out, is quite possibly one GIANT retirement home.  If ever you need to feel young again, without actually doing anything, go there.  It was also cloudy and rainy the whole time I was there, so you won't even need sunscreen!  =/  Ironically enough, I found this cool old school gym to workout at that had more of the equipment I use than most 24 hour fitness locations.  Go figure.

Pics below and as always, stay shiny.

Oregon Coast Aquarium:







View from Yaquina Bay State Park (and lighthouse area):



Sea Lion Cave pics to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment